Chief Operations Officer
At Rugged, we hold ourselves and our products to the highest standards in the industry. This pride in our product is a result of each individual taking responsibility for their contributions. We consider ourselves lucky to get up every day and contribute our time and our talents to an industry that we love. We’re looking for employees who share a passion for excellence and a love of the firearms industry to join our team.
Rugged is looking for an experienced COO to help lead our team as we achieve new growth. This role will require a laser focus on identifying people, processes, and profitability improvements along with providing consistent, incremental improvements of staffing, equipment, operations, and consistency within the operations organization. This role will oversee and manage all production processes including inventory management, reporting, budgeting, forecasting, turnaround times, quality control, safety, training, compliance with OSHA, ATF, environmental laws and regulations, shipping and receiving, documentation, and compliance with SOP’s, and ensuring that the interests of all stakeholders are served. In addition to those responsibilities, this role will
- Reports directly to the President and CEO
- Effectively direct the plant manager’s efforts to maintain an efficient operation
- Identify and implement systems that improve productivity, efficiency, and profitability throughout the company’s operations.
- Oversee and review production and operating performance on a regular basis with the plant manager.
- Provide recommendations to the leadership team, as needed, to resolve operational, manufacturing, maintenance, and delivery problems to minimize operation delays and avoid unnecessary expenses.
- Establish operational goals to achieve maximum profitability.
- Manage P&L for manufacturing operations.
- Coordinate with the manufacturing engineering team to ensure product and feature changes are properly managed, to improve throughput through proper line balancing and level loading, and to improve productivity through the identification of waste and implementation of permanent corrective actions using root cause analysis.
- Establish and maintain strong QC systems with accountability towards continuous improvement of quality and a reduction of waste.
- Oversee staffing, performance plans, and annual reviews for the operations team.
- Engagement, development, and motivation of employees and managers.
- Set policies and ensure compliance.
- Lead monthly staff meetings and communicate our current production goals against plan.
- Ensure that all equipment is fully functional, maintenance is pre-scheduled, and that all machines are operating with minimum downtime, maximum productivity, and repeatable results.
Qualifications / Skills
The successful candidate will be experienced, persuasive, well organized, and with a track record of success; comfortable leading a team and driving performance through data-driven conversations, forecasting and executing financial strategies, and meeting defined goals.
- Strong manufacturing background in a highly regulated industry.
- Experience in a variety of manufacturing processes.
- Demonstrated ability to identify and implement new systems that promote improved operating performance.
- Considerable prior experience with lean manufacturing is desired.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or a similar field.
- A minimum of 10 years of progression in management.
- A minimum of 5 years in a COO or VP of Manufacturing role.
- Proven experience in managing a workforce greater than 100 employees.
- Exceptional communication skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Action-oriented and self-motivated
- Personable nature
- Positive attitude
- Ability to communicate, present and influence all levels of the organization, including executive and C-level.
- Proven ability to drive performance from plan to close
- Excellent listening and presentation skills.
Competitive salary and benefits package; commensurate upon experience.